Baptism – What We Believe and Why?
I was thinking through the ordinance of Baptism the other day and collected a few thoughts that may be helpful.
Where is Baptism Found in the Bible?
- All Over The New Testament
- Romans 6:4-5 = the Foundation for Baptism (Where Theology Merges with Methodology)
What is Baptism?
- Baptism is a symbol of our faithBaptism is a symbol of Spiritual Rebirth = Matt 3:11; John 3:3-8
- 1 Peter 3:18-22 = Baptism is a symbol of our faith in Christ as the person to save us from God’s judgment for sin through faith, as Noah obeyed God’s plan for his salvation in faith to avoid God’s judgment for sin
What is Baptism Not?
- Baptism is Not a Sacrament (means of grace)
- But is an Ordinance (command of Christ)
- Matt 3:13 = If Baptism is a means of Grace, why was Christ baptized when He is the author of grace?
- Baptism is Not a covenant with God
- Salvation comes by an individuals faith, not a covenant
- Baptism is Not a means for Spiritual Gifts
- Acts 19:1-7 = The Spirit and the gifts came on these believers only after they believed Christ and were baptized in His name
Who Should Be Baptized?
- Only those who believe = Acts 2:38-41; 8:12; 8:34-40
What if I was baptized but I did not believe?
- You should be baptized as a believer = Acts 19:1-7
What does Baptism do for believers?
- Makes them a part of the body of Christ = 1 Corinthians 12:13
- Gives them equality before God in Christ = Galatians 3:23-29
- Unifies them in Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection = Colossians 2:10-14
What does baptism do for those after death?
- Nothing = Hebrews 9:27; 1 Corinthians 15:29-31
If you have a question or thought, Post it in the comments.